Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fun Christmas Stories

This year has been a lot of fun so far with all the Christmas festivities.  Here are some funny things the kids are doing leading up to the big day.


- Emily is OBSESSED with getting a Minnie Mouse vacuum from Santa.  She saw one in the store when she was shopping with Brian and she has not been able to get it off her mind since.  I'm not kidding when I say that she tells me about the vacuum at least once every day.  She sneaks it in somehow.  Like maybe she sees a santa decoration and says, "Santa is going to bring me a Minnie Mouse vacuum."  Or she see a Minnie toy and she says, "Mom, I want a Minnie Mouse vacuum."  But, my favorite so far was when the whole family was driving in the car.  Ethan was singing the Mariah Carey Christmas song, "All I want for Christmas is you."  And after he sang that line Emily sings, "All I want for Christmas is a Minnie Mouse vacuum."  Classic!  Cannot wait to see her reaction when she opens that gift from Santa!

- Ethan on the other hand has taken the sentimental approach.  Every time we ask him what he wants for Christmas the only answer he will give is, "To spend time with my family."  Even when he was asked to write a letter to Santa at school, he wrote the same thing!  So sweet!



- Abby has taken the approach of, I see it, so I want it.  I can't go anywhere with her without her saying, "Oh, I would really love that."  "Oh mom, isn't that beautiful?  I would like playing with that."  The good thing is she never demands it or gets intense about it.  She just subtlety tells me how cool every toy is that we walk by.

- And one more Ethan story.  In his classroom at school, there is a snowman named Frosty that acts very similar to an Elf On The Shelf.  He moves every day and if you touch him his magic can go away.

One day before school Ethan tells me his heart and his tummy hurt.  After asking a few questions, I decided he was fine to go to school because I didn't really think he was sick.  Later that day I get a call for the school nurse.  She says that Ethan is saying his heart and his tummy hurt and was wondering if there was any family history because she couldn't figure out anything wrong with him.  I tell her no and he makes it through the day.  Kind of weird though.

When i was telling a neighbor about him going to the nurse, he mentioned that maybe it was him being anxious about something because that could make your heart beat and your stomach hurt.  So, when he gets home he tells me that his heart and tummy hurt again.  He still looked and seemed fine so I told him sometimes when we are worried about something our tummies can get upset and asked him if there was anything on his mind.

He broke down into tears and told me that he is really worried that his classroom snowman's magic is lost.  He told me how two boys touched him the day before and that he was afraid when he got to school that he would not have moved.  And sure enough, that morning when he got to school the snowman had not moved.  So, then I asked if his heart hurt like, "ouch that hurts" or if his heart was sad and he said sad.

The poor little guy was so worried about a magical snowman that he made his stomach hurt!  I assured him that Santa loves his snowmen and elves too much for anything bad to happen to them and that I'm SURE Frosty will be just fine.  That seemed to be enough for him and he perked up.  And thank goodness.....the Snowman moved the next morning.  Whew!

No comments: