I was with my brother at a BBQ competition that was being held at the ski resort near our home. We were given free tickets to go on the snow tube ride and I was coerced by some fellow BBQ friends to go on it. It seemed safe to me because there were lanes that separated people and kids were going on it...so how bad can it be. Well, on one of my runs down, I was stopped at the bottom, but the people in the lane next to me went out of control and smashed into me, directly on my foot hanging over the side of the tube.
I walked away from it but knew I had done something pretty bad to my ankle. I had them bring me to my car and went straight home. I stayed on the couch that night getting little sleep because of the pain. The next morning I went to the convenience care but their x-ray facility was closed. I could have gone somewhere else, but figured it was surely just sprained. I hobbled around all weekend and decided that it really was too painful to walk on. Monday morning I went to get an X-Ray right away and found out I had a fracture on my medial mallelous. I went to an orthopedist the next day and they told me I would have to get surgery because it's the one place you can't let heal on its own since it has a good chance of shifting and causing arthritis later in life. So they put me in a boot, told me not to put any weight on it at all and sent me home to schedule surgery.
A week later I had surgery and had two screws put in the bone to keep it stable. Ta - Da!
They sent me home in the boot. The first few days were pretty painful and I didn't get up much.
After 5 or 6 days though, I was up and moving around more. Unfortunately, maybe a bit too much. One of the times I was on my scooter, my leg slipped right off and came crashing to the ground. I was afraid I did something bad, so I called the doctor and they got an x-ray to make sure. But since they couldn't trust me........this happened.......
And as of today (I'm dating the blog post for the day it happened but today is April 25th) I will be getting the cast off on Tuesday....going BACK to the boot and will begin to weight bear and physical therapy.
A very unfortunate event, but thankfully I have amazing friends and family that took good care of me and helped me get through it all!






No comments:
Post a Comment