Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zoo Day

Today we went to the zoo. The weather was perfect and we had such a great time! Some of my favorite days with the kids are spent at the zoo actually. We have so much fun exploring and seeing all the animals. We get there right when it opens and walk around until the train starts running. Once we hear that whistle for the first time, we hop on a train and take the ride around the whole park. Every time we go through the tunnels I say, "Hey guys, where did you go? I can't see you!" and I feel around for them like I have no idea that Ethan is sitting next to me and Abby is on my lap. And every time they laugh hysterically. Today I had Ethan yell out "IIIOOOOOGGGA" I'm sure that sound doesn't make sense to anyone but my parents and brother. Whenever we went through tunnels on our driving trips my dad would yell that out the window. I have no idea why.....much like I have no idea why every time we went over a bridge he yelled out, "RIVER". But, I remember it and now I do it with my kids for no apparent reason.  Maybe some day they will say, "Why did mom do that?"

One of my favorite places to walk with them is the River's Edge. It's a part of the zoo that winds around some really pretty landscaping. You see different animals along the way, but the big attractions are the hippos and the elephants. Here's some pics...

 And I didn't even make them do this next one!  They did this all on their own!


This one is what Ethan did when I told him to point at his shirt b/c it has hippos on it.


Today we got around to about half of the zoo exhibits before the kids started getting tired.  As we walk out I always tell them, "Thank you for coming to the zoo with me today!"  And today Ethan said back, "You're welcome.  I love the zoo.  I love you Mommy."  It doesn't get much better than that!

On the car ride home, they are always so exhausted that they fall asleep.  I have a system when I get home that I pull into the garage, close the door behind me and wait for it to shut before I open the car doors so it doesn't wake the kids.   I take one kid in, lay them down and then the other.  When I carried Ethan in today, I couldn't believe how big he felt to me.  Not only because I had just carried Abby in who is still just a little peanut and weighs about 13 pounds less than him, but because I felt his feet hitting my knees as I walked!  My little boy is getting so big!

Another successful Zoo day and I can't wait for the next one.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Audra said...

Awww. I loved this post. You should hand over the camera (supervised of course!) once or twice so they can take your picture too!

Audra

Caitlin said...

Sniffle! This is one of those posts that makes me want to have kids NOW! I saw my surgeon the other day and asked when I'm clear to get going on that . . . he asked me when I was "planning" on getting pregnant . . . I told him that if he gives me permission - TOMORROW! He laughed and told me I need to have at LEAST a few months to heal. But then I'm good to go. Luckily I have nieces, nepehews - as well as "fake" ones that I claim as my nieces and nephews to hold me over.

This was such a sweet post though! I can't wait to take my own kids (someday) to the zoo!

Caitlin